[Coco] wget hangup

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:34:34 EST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:

> FWIW, there is still a wget on
> https://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/download/nos96309l2v030209coco3_dw3.dsk?attredirects=0&d=1
> that's identical to the one I've been trying to use:
>
> Module size:  $02C1  #705
> Module CRC:  $CE3316
>
> So even a new disk image still has this problem.  I found an assembly source
> file for wget on my hard drive.  What would it take to update it to the
> current API?  My 6809 is pretty rusty, but a project like that might be
> about my speed.  Until then, I'll use the dw command.
>
> JCE

The wget utility as it is should be removed, I will take care of that.

That old wget program uses a high level call that did the entire
transfer on the server side and just read data.  It is functionally
equivalent to the 'dw s l' command, so there is no need for it to
exist.

I decided long ago (after wget was created) that doing things above
the TCP layer on the server was really cheating too much, and it meant
software written to use them would not be compatible with a real
network connection if we ever get such a thing on the coco.  So I
removed everything above TCP socket operations.  This should mean
clients written to work with DW will also work with any other network
solution that comes along.  We've been using the TCP api in the
current versions of telnet, smtp, httpd etc.  If you wanted to make a
proper 'wget', it would need to understand the various application
layer protocols you wanted to support (http, ftp, etc) and rely on the
server only to provide the raw TCP socket.  It would be great to have
such a thing, but its quite a bit more involved than the single dumb
API call the old wget used.

-Aaron