[Coco] Message Tree Hierarchy

Lothan lothan at newsguy.com
Wed Jul 24 17:43:34 EDT 2013

In the big scheme of things, your email client should set these headers so
that email clients can insert the message into appropriate place in the
appropriate thread.

Unfortunately, it's optional in RFC2822 and I don't know of many webmail
clients that support message threading. Outlook doesn't really do message
threading, either.

Windows Live Mail supports threading and adds those two headers above to
outgoing email messages. It works for the most part, but I might check out
Thunderbird per Gene. There are a lot of things about Windows Live Mail I
just don't like (notably that it makes responding to plain text emails a
pain).