[Coco] Does XC80652P = 6847 VDG?

Jim Harre jim at tweech.com
Mon Dec 16 13:59:11 EST 2013

I'm new to the CoCo, but not to 8-bit computers. After recently picking
up a CoCo 2, I found Dennis Kitsz' last Custom Color column with a
schematic for a composite video out circuit. With the circuit built on a
piece of perf board, I opened up the CoCo 2 to hook it up to the 6847
VDG chip and ran into a problem.

My CoCo doesn't have a 6847.

Eliminating the other 40 pin chips left me with the XC80652P. A Google
search let to a couple links - one said it is an updated 6847, another
said it is an updated keyboard controller. Since it sits between the RF
cage and the keyboard connector, I guess either is possible. So, before
I solder in my composite adapter and possibly release the magic smoke,
is the XC80652P an updated 6847 VDG?

<*> Jim