[Coco] Fest Ideas was Aaron's apology and Coco Contest Results

Mike Rowen mike at bcmr3.net
Tue Apr 30 17:05:05 EDT 2013

I agree with Aaron. The auction has served multiple purposes - to recoup costs for the Fest, to benefit members, and to draw Fest attendees. It already troubles me that anyone would be purchasing items in the auction simply to dump them immediately for profit on eBay or elsewhere. There is no way to prevent this of course. If the goal were simply profit, the club could simply list all items in an online auction and bypass the fest entirely. I don't have a problem with someone acting as proxy for other members, but I don't think the club need be directly involved or burdened with responsibility for that. Trying to coordinate various online media and their associated delays would impact the auction flow. The feeds have all been done on provided networks in a best effort fashion. That said, there may be opportunity for more interaction via the web for other purposes, such as having a live presentation to the Fest by a remote member. Or, we may be able to more formally have the live feed manned by volunteers during the FEST since Aaron can only currently be in a max of 3 places at once.

I'm in no way trying to lock out people from the fest or the auction, just agreeing that its a slippery slope for the reasons above and we could quickly have more online people than actually at the Fest. That could place an unenjoyable responsibility on a small group at the Fest.

Cheers,
-Mike R