[Coco] FW: Multi-Processor 6809 Computer System

Bill Gunshannon billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Tue Apr 30 11:51:58 EDT 2013

> The Fujitsu FM-7 computer uses 2 6809 being on of them for generating
> graphics. There is no vdp on this computer, the second 6809 is used
> exclusively for generating 8 color 640x200 pixels graphics.
>
> Some dual 6809 arcades do the same.

Systems with more than one processor were more common than you might
think, but in most cases it was not any kind of multi-processing.  The
second processor was used exclusively for IO.  The Tandy Model 16 had
an entire Z80 compouter system (the Model II) built into it for such a
task.  When using the M68K the Z80 was an IO processor and all IO went
thru it.  There were others, (Midwest Scientific was one, I thinkh dual
6800's).

bill