[Coco] CoCo-X project

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 18 21:54:07 EDT 2013

On 19/04/2013 10:31 AM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> I expect it would easily get funded if it got mentioned on a high
> profile site like a Slashdot or whatever has taken over for them these
> days.

I'm not so sure about that. For one, the Coco isn't exactly the most
popular retro computer around; our group pales in comparison to
communities for the BBC, C64 and Apple II for example. And secondly, there
are a _lot_ of Kickstarter projects going around, many of them for
computing and/or gaming product development.

I'm sure such attention would garner more backers for the project, but
sincerely doubt the requisite 200 would be found.

There's also a lot to be said for having a finished product ready to ship.
Recently on the TRS-80 group someone announced a hard disk
emulator/adapter ready to ship and people are coming out of the woodwork
to sign up for one. Then again, it's a smaller outlay, but I suspect Gary
would be able to sell more than his 16 so far if he had them in his hands
right now.

Unfortunate, but it's the nature of the beast. Of course, Gary's track
record should mean something; he has produced a lot of the IP on a 3rd
party hardware already... so it's a shame.

Regards,