[Coco] CoCo-X project

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 18 15:42:02 EDT 2013

On 18/04/2013 11:55 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:

> Well, if this doesn't get funded, I think we are done with CoCo 4 talk
> unless there really are interested folks, but they don't like the FPGA
> concept. I think having the real I/O ports and ability to use a real 6809
> is the best compromise I have seen between emulation and recreation.

I don't agree with this statement at all.

Something like Coco-X is always going to have limited appeal, even within
the Coco community, but practically zero OUTSIDE it. I think the target of
approximately 200 units was always going to be optimistic, though I would
have expected more ($250) backers than the current 16. Perhaps more would
have chosen to back it if it looked like reaching its goal?

Personally I'm still _very_ interested in an FPGA-based Coco motherboard
replacement, and always will be. I just don't think the market is there to
build such a thing and hope to break even on development costs. This is the
sort of project that will have to be undertaken by someone who is willing to
bear the brunt of the costs themselves, and then share it with others
without any hope of a profit by selling them strictly at manufacturing cost.

Regardless, I don't see why we should close the door on discussion of the
Coco4; it's obvious this still interests a lot of people and the whole point
of being part of an enthusiast group is to discuss what interests us -
right?!? We've all waited 30-odd years for a Coco4 - what's a few more?

Regards,