[Coco] Possible DW server

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 17:49:04 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:38 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2013, Frank Pittel wrote:
>
>> I was turned onto this link and although the one I got is going back
>> because of a problem with the touch pad I can't help but think this might
>> make a good DW server. A bit memory limited but it does have 3 usb ports and
>> a built in SD card reader. Not sure it it'll run Java though.
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834684003&IsVirtualParent=1
>

> If you replace Windows CE with a lightweight Linux distro it should be able
> to run DW.  I have a Seagate Dockstar appliance with 128MB of memory that
> can bring up the DW server without problems.
>
> But, forget about running the GUI.  Too cramped for that.
>
> Hopefully it's still possible to run the server separately? I haven't tried
> this with any of Aaron's newer code and there appears to have been an
> integration of the GUI and server.

The server and GUI are contained in the same jar file, and by default
they start and stop together to make things easy for basic users.

However, you can use command line options to start only the UI or only
the server, and the UI can talk to the server over any IP network.

The server runs fine on a Linksys NSLU2, which has only 32MB of ram.
The GUI works on the Raspberry Pi, which has less than 256mb ram
(total depends on how much you allocate to GPU ram).  It may well be
that the GUI can in fact run on that little laptop.  Its typical ram
usage is only about 20MB.