[Coco] CoCo Ethernet for $25-$30...

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Mon Apr 8 13:24:26 EDT 2013

On Apr 8, 2013, at 12:02 PM, Mark Martin <storycrafter at gmail.com> wrote:
> cheap -- $35 plus shipping, you're not complete then.  Add power supply,
> SD, and a case and you're upwards of $60.  Assuming you recycle a HDMI
> monitor, cable, keyboard, and mouse.  Maybe you could source a similar
> embedded ARM chip and PHY for a similar price but I'm not qualified to do
> that much R&D, myself.

Well, beyond power and an enclosure, none of the rest is needed for a CoCo add on. I like the idea of the Arduino UNO because any of us can go down to Radio Shack and buy one. Unfortunately, while they have Xbee wireless and other Shields, they do not stock the Ethernet adapter. And once this becomes a "you have to mail order to get it," then it opens up a world of options.

> It's good to see you experimenting.  And with the Cloud 9 guys coming out
> with updated boards, it's encouraging.

I have ben waiting over a decade for someone to come out with some way to get a CoCo on the internet without it just being a PC on the internet with a CoCo attached... Still hasn't happened, so I guess one of us will do it then figure out a way to standardize the interface so software can be written.

		-- A