[Coco] CoCo Ethernet for $25-$30...

Mark Martin storycrafter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:02:34 EDT 2013

Allen,

I've been working on a design for multiple computers using Arduino,
possibly FPGA, ethernet, and local caching storage.  I've been
contemplating a commercial solution, but I may be more likely to be
successful if I were to consider a more open-source solution, I suspect.

I'm with you -- offloading the ethernet stack is the way to go.  The
Commodore gang is way ahead of us on this.  There is a solution which uses
an offloaded embedded processor and interfaces through the existing
Commodore serial drive interface.  Of course storage is supported, but so
is networking via special "device" id's which are supported on the
underlying drive API.  I was actually focusing some time and effort
sourcing parts for interfacing arduino and fpga to my apple II types.  CoCo
was on the queue for treatment sometime later, as was Atari 8bit and C=
8bit.  I even have some T/S I'd like to get to eventually.  Arduino can
handle the raw ethernet, and I have a $8 ethernet solution in mind.

Raspberry Pi won't work for any scale-able solution, by the way.  You can't
get them in any numbers if you're looking to build a package and sell it
with quantity.  Also, it's not like you can create your own board and embed
their chipset -- you pretty much have to take their board and footprint.  I
suppose if you came up with a completely community supported effort,
everyone would be on the hook for getting their own Pi and would just use
recipes to interface to their Coco (via serial or bus).  But if you're
looking to package a solution which uses cloud storage like I am, The
raspberry just isn't the right choice.  Also, although the Pi is pretty
cheap -- $35 plus shipping, you're not complete then.  Add power supply,
SD, and a case and you're upwards of $60.  Assuming you recycle a HDMI
monitor, cable, keyboard, and mouse.  Maybe you could source a similar
embedded ARM chip and PHY for a similar price but I'm not qualified to do
that much R&D, myself.

In broad strokes, I'm planning on creating custom interface adapters for
each of the major retro computers -- CoCo, C=, Apple, and Atari, including
potentially the 16bit variants.  These adapters would interface with a
common bus to a common interface device.  This common device would have
local storage (SD) and networking (wireless and wired) and would act as a
bridge to a cloud storage solution.  I can go into more details on that
later if you're interested.

It's good to see you experimenting.  And with the Cloud 9 guys coming out
with updated boards, it's encouraging.