[Coco] DSK image utilities?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Apr 2 12:54:23 EDT 2013

On Apr 2, 2013, at 11:39 AM, David Ladd <drencor at gamepixel.net> wrote:
> So far most of my disk images I am creating using some of the tools from
> the ToolShed Project.

I looked at that, but didn't get very far. I kept getting errors from the tool, so I have some learning to do.

> Other tools to read or write images from/to real floppies I am using
> CoCoDisk & fdrawcmd.sys driver.

What is CoCoDisk?

> You can also under linux use dd to create disk images.

I mean, if I have a .BAS file or a .BIN, and I want to get it in to an emulator, how would I go about doing that? Xroar can create a blank disk image on the fly, but I do not know how to put files on the image. It seems back in the days of the Jeff V CoCo emulators (DOS!) we had tools that did this.

Is someone working on this? If not, it would be nice to have some portable version -- maybe straight ANSI-C code that could compile on anything. Java is also an option, since we rely on it for DriveWire, but with Java getting booted off the desktop for security concerns, I wonder if it's a long term solution.

Oh. I think I need to dust off my EthaGUI stuff and update my Towel disk utility so it can run on modern machines and deal with .DSK files :-)

		-- Allen