[Coco] [COCO] PCB Manufacturers request

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Nov 21 09:05:27 EST 2012

On 21 Nov 2012 at 8:24, Brian wrote:

> On 11/21/2012 1:16 AM, David Ladd wrote:
> > Dear List Members,
> >
> > I am trying to find a good company that is also reasonable for
> > the hobbiest to get PCB's made.
> >
> > Does anyone recommend a reliable company?
> >
> > Thanks for your insight ahead of time.
>
> ExpressPCB is worth a look. Turn around time is pretty good. They have
> their own free design software that will give you and immediate quote
> allow ordering. I have not used them personally - yet, but, know a few
> who have and the boards are of good quality. YMMV...
>

> Brian
>
> --

I like ExpressPCB for its fast turn. Its software is proprietary. You have to pull to get them to
release the gerber files to you. They are not very forth coming in that respect. They are good
for small one of kind and quick turn.

Eagle Layout is almost the hobbyest defacto standard. The free version will allow you to
design up to 80cm by 100cm board. That slightly larger than ExpressPCB miniboard size. I
think Eagle Layout is easier to use and library parts are more readily available. The
autorouter that comes with the free version is crap. Then again I think 99% of all autorouters
are crap anyway. On small boards you spend more time setting up Eagle's autorouter and
then cleaning up the mess afterwords. It is just as fast to hand route than to autoroute.

I prefer BatchPCB or OSHPark or Seeedstudio.

james