[Coco] (Probably stupid and newbie-ish) CoCo hardware question

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jun 27 20:24:45 EDT 2012

I'm going out on a limb here... I know it for a fact. I just can't remember the exact source. I'm sure it was one of the Microware guys who modified the system ultimately, but I got the info second hand from an article in some magazine or other... I think. Could have been an on-line article, but I think it was actually in a Rainbow article sometime after the CC3 was released... maybe an interview with one or more of the Microware guys involved? I can't recall exactly where I got the info, which is why I say I'm going out on a limb by saying it's a fact. If Tandy had the rights to mod the MS code, they'd have done it rather than use a patch system though. Would have been cheaper to do it that way, I'd think. I believe the CC3 had two ROM chips, ECB and SECB, or were they both burned in different banks of the same chip? I don't remember...

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:42:08 -0400
From: Arthur Flexser<flexser at fiu.edu>

Frank, that's the first time I've heard that explanation for why the
CoCo 3 runs in all-RAM mode.  (That Tandy had rights to use, but not
modify, the Microsoft ROMs.)  It seems very plausible to me.  Do you
know this for a fact, or is it just a reasonable conjecture?

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine