[Coco] Serial to usb printers

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Wed Jun 13 07:17:23 EDT 2012

The HP 540 is "modern" compared to a CoCo, but you can't get them new any more. Nice to know that it is one of the inkjets that have a "brain" and are usable with a CoCo though. Much nicer than an old dot matrix. There are no new inkjets that will work that I know of though, nor will most laser printers. Some of the older laser printers would work as well, but nothing since 2000. The HP 540 was introduced in 1994 according to the HP support site. I do believe it was discontinued by 2000.

---------------------
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:28:48 -0500
From: Chad H<chadbh74 at hotmail.com>

Umm "-- the only practical way to print at a reasonable speed with a modern
inkjet printer from a CoCo." ???

Not necessarily, depending on what is 'reasonable speed' in your perception
and not if your fortunate enough to have a serial-to-parallel converter and
a inkjet printer that has the 'brains' to accept ASCII text&  codes like you
say.   I have such a converter and use it routinely to print from my CoCo 2
to a HP DeskJet 540 printer.  The converter and CoCo are configured for 9600
baud communication...plenty for my uses.