[Coco] OT:The Apple II source code for Prince Of Persia- found after 22 years

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Tue Jun 5 09:55:00 EDT 2012

On 5/06/2012 11:35 PM, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> 6502 code is very similar to 6800 as is the architecture. A straight
> forward mapping of comparable code is a rather daunting task for all but
> small blocks of code.

> One warning from the author of the CSC 6502 to 6809 translator made is if
> porting 6502 code to run on an OS9 system, non position independent code
> does not run well in OS9.

My gut feeling is that, given the architectural differences between the
Apple II and the Coco, such as graphics, memory map, sound etc, the way to
go would be to write a Coco port from scratch using the source as a guide.
The graphics routines, for example, are going to be completely useless, as
will the keyboard, sound, disk routines etc. And I wouldn't mind betting
you'd be much better off converting the graphics to a more Coco-ready format
in the process. Really, it's probably only the game logic (AI) that would be
readily-usable with a straight translation, and I'm not sure that's a
particularly large portion of the code!?!

Regards,