[Coco] Help with floppy disk setup - first time user

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Jan 31 19:47:40 EST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 07:24:57PM -0500, Blake Patterson wrote:

> I have a CoCo 3 with Extended Color BASIC 2.0.
>
> I have just gotten a load of CoCo stuff from a user I traded
> with. I've got a dual floppy disk setup with controller cart, and
> RS-232 pack, a DriveWire, a CoCo 3 mobo w/ 512K exp, and some other
> kind of controller.
>
> I connected the floppy drive to the cart and plugged it in and tried
> some basic disk commands (DIR 0, DIR 1, etc.), but nothing
> happens. It's as if the commands aren't in the system's syntax.

With the disk controller plugged in it should come up as "Disk
Extended Color BASIC 2.1".

If DIR 0 returns a ?SN ERROR then your disk ROM may be hosed.  If it
just sits for a while and then says ?IO ERROR you've  got
mechanical/connection problems.

More details please.

> http://www.cs.unc.edu/~yakowenk/coco/text/diskbasic.html
>
> Do I need to upgrade the ROM in the CoCo 3 to Disk BASIC for things
> to work?

The Disk BASIC ROM should be in the disk controller.  If it's not,
something's weird.  Do regular ROM paks work with your CoCo?

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard