[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:29:06 EST 2012

Linux has improved as far as compatibility with many mainstream components,
but I have made several attempts at making linux my some operating system
for day to day use, and in the end, I have always turned back to XP.  XP
just seems to work for me.  IMHO linux has lost one of the main draws... it
has become as bloated as Windows, with the latest features requiring more
and more processing power.  90% of the feature really are making things
pretty.  I have often wondered if the OS was stripped down to the bare
essentials, and placed into a ROM where there is near instant
on capabilities, what would happen.  If you take MS-DOS and Windows 3.11
that used to fit into what 10MB of hard drive space.  Sure it is not the
prettiest OS out there, but it will work.  I guess I really am a minimalist
when it comes to operating systems and my computing experience.  Sure
things look pretty when you have animated window transitions, transparent
moves of windows, but as far a productivity goes, these no nothing.

Whatever happened to the KISS principal when it came to OS design?

It's been a few years now, but that certainly wasn't the case last time I