[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Jan 31 14:07:09 EST 2012

Linux is now at least as easy as Windows, probably easier for prgoramming. But from a user standpoint, get a version of Mint (7-9 for older, slower machines, 12 for newer ones) or PC Linux OS. I'm not real sure about PCLOS, but Mint comes with everything you need to start using a computer. Even all the proprietary (but free to use) audio/video codecs. I had to d/l a bunch for Windows to play everything!

There are some things a bit harder to do, but for the most part Mint is plug and play. D/l a live CD or DVD iso image, burn it, leave it in the drive, then reboot. Mint will boot and run from the CD/DVD without even having to install it! It will be slow though. It creates a temp file on your HD, but deletes that when closing down. You can install it as a dual-boot on your Windows computer if you have enough hard drive space. If dual booting you want Windows installed first! It can be done the other way around (Linux installed first), but it's a PITA because Windows doesn't play well with others!

Linux has a techie reputation, but I just switched to Linux on my DTP machine. Plan on using GIMP for editing photos and PageStream (a commercial DTP program that runs under Linux). Looked at the free DTP program Scribus, but not satisfied it's developed enough. It's usable, but too many things change on a regular basis. I want/need something more stable!

-----------
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:20:44 -0500
From: Louis Ciotti<lciotti1 at gmail.com>

While agree there are readily available "free" ways to get into
programming, it is really rather daunting if you ask me.  I am looking at
it in terms of a true "newbie" to computers.  Would I really want to cut my
teeth in linux?  I am around computer on a daily basis, I have some
programming background, but to have to go the linux route at first, I think
that would just about turn all but the true die hard away.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine