[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Jay Coleman jlc at dalelands.org
Tue Jan 31 11:30:36 EST 2012

  True, there's no programming anything out of the box, but it's really
unneeded.

The resources given by the internet make it far easier to learn
programming.  I started in with a CoCo 2 and "Getting Started with Color
Basic", but finding much more required scouring my small town library or
taking advantage of library exchange programs (if I could find out what
held what I wanted in the first place).  Now, a google search for "how
to program in X" or "beginning X" will return all you need to get
started in seconds.  There are a number of forums where newbies can ask
questions, and get accurate, detailed responses within hours.  It took
me several weeks to become reasonably proficient in C on my own, with
only a book, and no one to ask questions or places to look for
examples.  Now, all that is a few clicks away.  Error messages returned
by the languages are typically much more useful, often pointing directly
to and describing the error made.  There are great languages that did
not even exist when I started; I haven't learned python myself, but I
can see why it is often recommended as a beginning language.  It is easy
to read, has a very clear syntax, is strongly typed, contains GUI tools
out of the box but you don't have to use them, and scales well for
larger projects.  And its completely free, even for commercial use.
I'll likely be learning python next, and everything I need to learn it
is free and easy to access.

I do my programming under linux, but all the common languages are freely
available for windows.  Python, perl, GCC, and so on are just a download
and install.  High quality IDEs are available freely, too.  Tutorials
litter the internet.  Combined with linux (or BSD), you have an OS and
pretty much every language that you can name that you can easily run on
anything made in the last 7 years or more, completely free, with a world
full of support.  Every school and library in the country offers high
speed internet access.  When I started in 83, the cheapest computer you
could get your hands on ran some $300-400 in today's money.  I regularly
/give away/ computers that can easily run linux and they beat the pants
off of anything commonly available even ten years ago. It's a wonderful
time to be a broke, inquisitive kid.  The only comparable time I can
think of would have been the late 40's/early 50's with all the mil
surplus radio equipment flying around.

If there's nothing that comes with the box, it may well be because there
is so much easily available that could never fit inside.

Jay