[Coco] Disk drive question

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Jan 22 11:34:31 EST 2012

On Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:28:52 AM hhos at st-tel.net did opine:

> > Sorry, it was the somewhat rare 26-3022 drive controller that required
> > 12v.
> > The 26-3029, FD-500/501/502 controllers were 5v.  There is a rather
> > involved
> > hardware hack to make the 26-3022 capable of addressing the 1.44 Meg
> > floppies too.  For most practical use any drive works with any
> > controller.
> >
> > Bruce W.
>
> This is a link to instructions for that hardware hack.
>
> http://www.reocities.com/idezilla/CoCoZilla/hdtext.html
>
> I have not tried it, but without going through all of this, I understand
> that just dropping in a 8877(A) chip, to replace the WDC1793 in the
> original Tandy controller, will eliminate the need for +12VDC. Can
> anyone confirm this?
>
> HH

It may be slightly more complex than that, as in switching a 12 volt pin to
have it wired for 5 volts.  Having looked at its specs (I even had a sheet
around here someplace) I also got the impression it would also work at 500
kilobaud allowing the use of many of the more modern drives.  I have
encountered 3.5" drives that will not function at all with the coco's 250
kilobaud controllers.  A full megabaud or even 2 is likely beyond its reach
though.

??  Does anyone know where the 8877 can be obtained today?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Do you remember when you only had to pay for windows when *you* broke them?