[Coco] Disk drive question

hhos at st-tel.net hhos at st-tel.net
Sun Jan 22 06:18:06 EST 2012

> Sorry, it was the somewhat rare 26-3022 drive controller that required
> 12v.
> The 26-3029, FD-500/501/502 controllers were 5v.  There is a rather
> involved
> hardware hack to make the 26-3022 capable of addressing the 1.44 Meg
> floppies too.  For most practical use any drive works with any controller.
>
> Bruce W.

This is a link to instructions for that hardware hack.

http://www.reocities.com/idezilla/CoCoZilla/hdtext.html

I have not tried it, but without going through all of this, I understand
that just dropping in a 8877(A) chip, to replace the WDC1793 in the
original Tandy controller, will eliminate the need for +12VDC. Can anyone
confirm this?

HH