[Coco] 11 year old fixes Drive Pak, reminds daddy to slow down

Roger Taylor taylor at newfoal.com
Mon Aug 15 00:54:26 EDT 2011

There's nothing more frustrating than using all brand new parts and
soldering with extra care and when you go to plug the Drive Pak in
for the first time, CoCoNet can't access the MicroSD card.  Hours and
hours of looking things over, replacing all the chips, checking
connections, checking the uDrive from a USB cable on the PC, etc. and
still no luck.

To make a long story short, I was desoldering a few things from the
board tonight like the 6551 socket and uDrive module when I noticed
that some of my resistors were coming loose from the long strips of
paper they come attached to.  So I told my son to go get 3 zip lock
bags so we could make sure they don't get mixed up later on.  WELL...
we found 2 resistors stuck to the side of the 4.7k bulk strip, so I
put them in the 4.7k bag.  One thing kept leading to another and Kyle
looked at the 3 resistors on the Drive Pak board and told me, "Daddy,
the 2nd and 3rd are the same, just backwards."  I said, "Kyle, it
doesn't matter if they're backwards, and they're NOT the same".  He
kept repeating, "Daddy, I know what I'm talking about - they're the
same, Daddy".  So I told him to go get my magnifying glass so I could
make sure...

What do you know, a 4.7k was in the 220 ohm resistor spot.  How the
hell did that happen?  :)  I swapped out the resistor and brought him
with me to plug it into the CoCo 3.  Booted up.. and bam, CoCoNet
boots up and gives me the partition boot prompt.

Our eyes got big and he threw me a high-five and we laughed.  Of
course, I said, "Now you know, we still need to make sure... if
Mickey and Pluto show up then we KNOW it's working."  So I typed
DOS#"MICKEY" and naturally the OS-9 takes its time loading, so I made
him wait with anxiety as the title sequence loaded up and then the
two cartoon characters appeared.

Done, and 2 more paks go out tomorrow.  My side kick *apparently* has
better eyes than me even though my last check came back "20/20".

--
~ Roger Taylor