[Coco] Any news on the so called CoCo4 or Next CoCo

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sat Oct 23 18:37:34 EDT 2010

That would probably be sufficient -- just reading game cartridges. The clock signals could be left off, but the IRQs might be needed to handle I/O boards and use the port for that -- or maybe a PIA emulator would suffice. Maybe the port could have two modes in the "CoCo4", cartridge or PIA. But if it can be made just to read cartridges that would be a start.

I really don't see why the LPT port hasn't vanished yet, hardly used except for a few legacy dot matrix printers that are required for multi-part forms. Should be easy to add a USB port to a DM printer though. In any case the LPT port is available on current production, so will be available on what will later be old hardware for a good 10 years. Some of us still have 5-10 year old systems running (PCs, not including the "ancient" CoCos!) now. Since we're talking quad core motherboards available with LPT ports now, it won't be a CPU power issue for a long time. Of course DOS can't use multi-core processors anyway.

The way you run Keil's emulator is similar to what I was talking about. If there was a bit more integration between the two it should run smoother and boot faster. That can't be done without either integrating OS functions in the emulator (ala DECB)  or re-writing the emulator. Not sure which would be best, but just paring down FreeDOS to a bare minimum might be all that's needed. Just add some additional functions (such as an improved video mode) to the emulator to create a virtual CC4.

--------------------
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 07:40:05 -0500
From: "Little John"<sales at gimechip.com>

Frank, it would seem that recreating the cartridge port could be done using
the parallel printer port and some "multiplexing" circuitry. At least as far
as running "program paks" - attaching other devices that require the E, Q,
etc. might be a bit more of a chore. Of course, the parallel printer port
itself will probably vanish from motherboards altogether in the near future,
although even my newest quad core still has one. Rather than Jeffs emulator,
I have been using David Keils along with FreeDOS - i have it set to boot
straight into the emulator - boots up pretty quickly.
JohnT

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"