[Coco] [OT] Remember text based Lunar Lander?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Wed Mar 31 00:35:49 EDT 2010

One of my favorite pastimes as a kid was to convert Ahl's programs to my
Color Computer; I don't remember if I did Lunar Lander, though (I was
pretty big into adventure games - I know I converted "Wumpus"). One of
the others I started to convert, but never finished (I think I kept
hitting memory limit issues, and the spaghetti code was too hard to
follow to figure out what to do) was Star Trek. Later, I found someone
else's version on a BBS.

Several years ago (after I had aged considerably), I managed to find
copies of both BASIC books (the yellow and the red one), as well as a
copy of "Big Computer Games". Somewhere I also have a copy of that
yellow book that shows how to convert between BASICs for the different
8-bit machines.

I also have a couple of books I haven't seen anywhere else; found them
at a yard sale (along with a first edition K&R - w00t!): "The Secret
Guide to Computers" (Volumes 1 & 2) - they have a very "Whole Earth
Catalog" feel to them, with "hippie tie-dye" covers (both paperbacks).

Between all of those books, and old back issues of Byte magazine... As a
kid, I played around with all kinds of old computer code and such (even
translated some 3D graphics code from Fortran to ECB) - kinda cut my
teeth on that stuff, plus everything else of the period in the mid-1980s
(someone mentioned K-Power; I still have all of my issues, plus my
Family Computing mags, and the pink K-Power programs book -
unfortunately, I don't have the first issue of K-Power, which stinks -
it had the Whiz Kids cover; but then again, I have copies of all the
Whiz Kids episodes on DVD, so...)

So many old memories; strangely, some feel older than I am old...

:)

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona