[Coco] just be considerate -- Re: "C" Compiling Was: New CoCo site for programmers

Jason Law jmlaw at iprimus.com.au
Thu Mar 25 15:32:47 EDT 2010

Guys I think you're starting to miss the whole point.

While I agree any projects done for the CoCo should not be done for glory,
or depend upon pats on the back, as a member of the community, should we not
make an effort to at least ackowledge the hours of labor guys have spent on
the projects they are sharing with all of us?

Or would we all prefer to be in a community were people just download what
they want, never say thanks, never encourage anyone. Guys leaving because
there's no gratitude or compliments. Not saying it's like that now, but I'm
just trying to contrast the issue.

FYI I've not started this to get more recognition for my own projects. I do
them because I have a passion for programming first and foremost. I offer
them freely to whoever wants to take a look. But I have heard that other
people have seen it and liked it or whatever, could those people not login
and post a quick reply saying that to show their support?

I mention it more because for example, Remz 3D project he spent months on.
Personally I think it's amazing, yet very few people bothered to login and
make a comment. If people did, would this not encourage them to keep making
more demos etc? I'm not saying Remz has a problem with it, I wouldn't know
either way. But when someone spends hours upon hours on a project to share
with the rest of us, is it too much to ask for those who tried it out, and
especially those who liked it, to take 20 seconds to post a reply of some
positive feedback or gratitide for sharing?

Criticism is fine when it's constructive, but when people only point out
what is wrong with something, it gives more of an impression they don't like
it at all. Can it not be balanced with a few acknowledgements of what they
do like?

So taking my own advice: I like the CoCo community as a whole, or as I've
said previously I wouldn't be here now, and I certainly wouldn't be putting
myself out there pointing these things out. I think it's amazing that the
CoCO is still alive and people are still writing new things for it. And the
hardware projects that let us do more than ever before, well that's just
fantastic! Personally I commend every single person for keeping the CoCo
alive so that we can all still enjoy our passion for this little machine
together :)

My passion for programming came from a very supportive user group. It was
the highlight of my youth. Ok thick skins yeah all that, but just because
something is a certain way does that mean we just put up with it, or try to
build something better for everyone?

I also re-read a few of the emails I sent :) Ok my passion may have got the
better of me at some point, I'll admit that :) I didn't refer to stiffs as
'old stiffs' by the way. I guess the thing I find that makes the CoCo
community somewhat cold, is people write as if they are writing for
Scientific American or Time Magazine. Are we not chatting amoungst CoCo
friends? Also do we need to be so formal that we can't express some
personality from time to time :D Some of the best articles and books I've
read show a sense of humor or a lighter tone. It makes it far more enjoyable
to read. Sometimes I get the impression people are just trying to show of
how intelligent they are by the way they write. It really does appear that
cold.

Yet another example, I post a community project I've been working on, not
for proft but as a service for the community, for expressions of interest
and the first replys I get are about typos and no mention of anything else!
Come on guys, geez, surely we can do better than that :D

I'm not telling people they need to change, but to those of us remaining in
the CoCo a community, I just offer it as food for thought :)