[Coco] New CoCo site for programmers

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Mar 24 16:44:28 EDT 2010

On Mar 24, 2010, at 2:42 AM, Jason Law wrote:

> While the topic has been bought up, I'd like to say a few things.
>
> Ok so I'm on a bit of a soapbox here, but if the CoCo community ends up
> better for it then why not. I also know for a fact that I'm not the only one
> who has hmm, let's say certain issues with that community as it stands.
>
> [...]
> Don't like me, I don't care! But someone has to say something or it's just a
> bunch of guys who are boosting their egos on what they've done in the past.

Boy, are you opening up a can of worms with this post :)

I don't know how much time you've had to observe the CoCo Community (the large preponderance being on this list), but your post implies that you have done some homework.

I've generally found that people are appreciative of folks' work.  With very, very few exceptions, I've personally had good dealings with people on this list and in the community.

Since you're on the topic of community cohesion and ideals, here's my list of the CoCo community code of ethics:

1) Support your vendors. Buy their products if they align with your interests and needs.

2) Get involved. If you have the skills, then help out with projects and take the time to learn the tools. Don't just take and not give back if you have the means to contribute.

3) Do it for yourself first. This mantra is what has motivated me to do the work that I have done. I had a need, so I created a product that filled that need, then shared the finished product with the rest of the community.

4) Be original.  It's already a small community; if you have an idea, test it to see if it's unique. Don't copy someone else's work or product; that's rude.

5) Be honest. That is, don't copy software that is actively being sold; don't steal someone's ideas; don't use someone's time under false pretenses only to undermine their work with your own.

6) Give credit. Don't hide behind someone else's work.  If someone else designed a hardware or software product, be up front and honest about their contribution and give them credit. Don't say you did something that you know you didn't do, or lead others to believe that by omission of certain facts.

7) Don't get stuck in the past.  Sure there have been some great contributors to the CoCo community over the years. But ask yourself, where are they now?

8) Finish what you start. I find that the last 10% of any project takes about 80% of the time.  It's easy to start and get halfway through something, but it's another thing to finish it.

9) Get your stuff out of storage. Yeah, I'm talking to you Curtis Boyle :)  Seriously, if you have some source code that you know could be valuable to the community and its stuck on a hard drive in timbuktu, get it out and at least ship it to someone who can extract it.

10) Don't be an elitist. Remember that everyone is in a different phase of learning and understanding; try to be patient and give people the benefit of the doubt.
--
Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/