[Coco] Advice request on Cloud9's 512k Upgrade board for Coco3

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Mar 21 09:34:34 EDT 2010

Not only that, but the computer will work perfectly without the capacitor with 128K. It must be for possible electrical interference with radios, TVs, etc. placed close by. That said, you might get a little "snow" on a TV if you're not using a monitor during memory access. When I had a CoCo3 set up I used a monitor and never had that problem. I have used one that had the cap snipped of 512K then removed the board. Had a problem with a 512K board (older, not Cloud-9) once and pulled it to check the computer, how I found out it was a chip on the 512K board. All I had to do was reseat the chips though, IIRC.

-----------------
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:15:50 +1100
From: Mark McDougall <msmcdoug at iinet.net.au>

> > Has anyone installed this board before?  Are there any
> > compatibility issues with software? I ask because it seems once
> > installed, there's no going back.

There are no compatibility issues with software. The capacitor removal is
strictly for electrical compliance, nothing that is even remotely "visible"
to software.

And it's hardly a case of "never going back". It would take less than a
minute to replace the capacitor should you ever want to. In fact, you could
simply snip/de-solder one leg only if you really wanted to. But there's no
need to worry - you'll likely never go back.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"