[Coco] 2 x 3.5 Drives on CoCo

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 13 10:42:54 EST 2010

On Saturday 13 March 2010, Jason Law wrote:
>Thanks for those links, I'll take a screen cap of the CoCo one for my
>archives.
>
>Re the jumpers, yeah I found this post:
>
>http://www.coco3.com/community/2009/09/coco-compatible-3-5-floppy-drives/
>
>There's a really good pdf at the end showing a lot of different drives with
>DS settings.
>
>I found one I had in a computer I have no idea where I got it from (nah
>didn't steal it) with jumper pins, a SONY MPF520-1. It works as drive 0.
>
>So I'll use that for now and make up the cable to use the two Panasonics
>together so they're a matching pair.
>
>I've taped over the HD hole on some new sony disks and they seem to work
>great so far. All 3 720k disks I have have bad sectors. Hopefully the HD
>ones will continue to work without dramas.

The HD disks are harder in the magnetic sense.  Taping over the hole puts the
drive in a reduced write current mode.  So they fade, often before the format
programs verify is done.  I would not use them for anything precious.  Its a
bit like pouring new cement, the question is not will it crack?, but when?

Someone posted a link that had dd 3.5 disks for sale yet, 5.25" too.  But
that was a couple of years ago, does anyone know if they are still in
business?

>I'll probably be able to find a schematic for a power supply onling
>somewhere. So then it's just a matter of working out what to house them in.
>
>Thanks again for you help, much appreciated :)
[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first
thought of.
		-- Burt Bacharach