[Coco] origins of OS-9

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 23:14:44 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Lothan <lothan at newsguy.com> wrote:
> Wasn't that Microware RT68 for the 6800? This is pure conjecture on my part,
> but I somehow doubt Microware really had to put much thought into the
> decision to create an operating system for Basic09. I mean it had already
> created the RT68 platform for the 6800 and it sure is a lot easier to
> develop and sell products for an operating system than it is to do
> bare-metal development for each product it creates.

Yes, I found mention of a product for 6800 called ""RT/68
MX - Multi user ROAA for the SWTPCO M6800" in a 1977 catalog.

One possibility is that RT68 grew into OS-9, although I have no
evidence for this and I know nothing about RT68 other than the
description above.  The only statements I have found about the origins
of OS-9 explain that Microware decided they needed an OS to support
Basic09, almost as if it were an afterthought.  If this was the whole
story I think you'd see some basic I/O routines behind the B09
environment, rather than a full fledged, powerful operating system.
Somebody had a vision for something much larger, and they pulled it
off quite well.. that's the story I'm after, if it can be found :)

I've got an archive of the 68 Micro Journal, going to read through
these and see if I can get a time line or any clues.