[Coco] http and ftp disks/files over CoCoNet

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Mar 8 02:33:25 EST 2010

Jason Law asked me a question a while ago, whether CoCoNet could
mount disks such as those hosted at ftp://rtsi.com.

A quick try failed because the CoCoNet server assumed anything with
:// in the URL was http://, and used the HttpWebRequest method.
I have since added the routines to check for ftp:// or http:// URLs
and the correct methods are called to fetch a .dsk image or file.

So, the new answer is YES, CoCoNet can mount those disks on RTSI.

In fact, I've got CAVES1.DSK mounted now and running 'Caves of the
Unwashed Heathen' over a bitbanger cable (using my Drive Pak
w/CoCoNet ROM in it).

All you need to do any of this is an EPROM Pak or a way to put the
EPROM in an existing floppy controller, such as a 28-pin socket if
you're lucky.  Disto Super Controller come to mind?  My EPROM board
come to mind?  Got tons of them.

Here's the command I just used:

DRIVE 0,!"FTP://RTSI.COM/RSDOS/EMULATOR/CAVE1.DSK"

Note that the CoCo uses the "!" character to specify that this is a
bitbanger hosted disk, and bitbanger-based server command.
A "@" or no character before the URL means 6551-based (wireless or
Tandy pak) disks.

--
~ Roger Taylor