[Coco] Howto for Altera DE1?

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 19:21:02 EDT 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I'm not sure if the files on the Yahoo group are current or not.  I
> can send you that last version Gary sent me, which may be more or less
> recent than what you have.

That would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

> In general steps, you must:
>
> 1. Load the CoCo 3 ROM at address 0 of the flash

This must be the missing step and does not seem to be documented anywhere!
Can you provide the basic procedure?  Also, a pointer to a suitable ROM
image would be quite helpful and will save the trouble of pulling a
machine apart :-).

> 2. Load the .sof into the board using the programmer

That much I have together.  The lack of firmware certainly explains the
results!

> That's really it.  I've heard you only need the .pof if you want to
> make the board start up in coco3 mode, I've never tried that.

Actually, it's very simple.  You switch the board into "PGM" mode (small
slide switch on the left edge), select "Active serial" on the programmer
dialog and pick on the .pof file.  It takes a minute or so to program the
serial ROM on the board.  Then, switch back to "RUN" and cycle the power.

> Switch settings of 0,1,2,3 and 7 on, rest off works here, I forget the
> purpose of all of them but 0 and 1 are the CPU speed control, and 8 9
> are the serial port speed control for drivewire, off off is 115k, off
> on is 230k, on off is 460k, on on is 920k. 115 and 460800k are tested,
> 920k probably won't ever work.

Thanks!  That also appears to be completely undocumented.  Did I overlook
some obvious web site or resource on the Altera DE1 version of coco3fpga?

I'm going to feel very sheepish if all this information is laid out
somewhere on line.

Still somewhat surprised not to find the Altera verilog sources in the
Yahoo files section.  Only an older Xilinx ZIP file is there.

Steve