[Coco] DE1 arrives :-)

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 25 20:35:01 EDT 2010

Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I wonder, if we just had an interface between the FPGA board and a
> multipak interface, would this allow the MPI to provide the "standard
> modular interface"?  seems most of us have or can obtain an MPI.  If
> it does provide enough signals for everything someone wants to do (and
> I'm not sure of that), then supporting a new FPGA board would mean
> redoing the work to get an MPI connected, but at that point you would
> be compatible with all classic coco hardware and any new paks made
> specifically for use in fpga boards.

I think Joel was talking about a modularised/standard interface board that
supported coco peripherals to be attached to any number of FPGA development
boards. This would allow Coco3FPGA to be ported to current and future FPGA
platforms and provide the usual Coco I/O such as joysticks, sound, video and
a cartridge connector.

You seem to be describing a board that (only) adds a coco cartridge
connector to an FPGA development board, and then providing Coco periperhals
via plug-in cartridges. Not quite the same.

FWIW BurchEd Electronics pretty much sold the former in modularized form
anyway. I have a box of boards which I bought during a close-out. One such
board has PS/2 & video connectors. Another has SRAM. Another has
dipswitches. Lastly, there is one with LEDs. They all have std IDE headers
like the DE1, and largely have the same pinout. In fact, I've interfaced
them to the DE1 for various projects.

As I said in another post, no good for high speed I/O though. :(

Feel free to correct me if I got it wrong. ;)

Regards,