[Coco] DE1 arrives :-)

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:20:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Joel Ewy <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 09:14 PM, Stephen Adolph wrote:
>>
>> I agree with you FPGAs are flexible, that is the point of an FPGA.
>> But, there is a lot of extra engineering involved, and also extra
>> expense if one needed to make a variety of adapters, for a variety of
>> platforms.
>>
>> It is much cheaper considering all the design and verification to
>> standardize on a platform.  But go ahead, retarget the design to
>> another FPGA and hardware platform!
>>
>> Have you ever delivered a real product based on FPGA?  I have!  The
>> advice I am giving is from experience.  If someone is willing to do
>> all the work to bring up one platform and emulate a coco, ..... we
>> should not be looking to repeat all that effort.
>>
>> So my 2 cents is - buy a DE1...it has momentum!
>>

> Don't forget, the DE1 is already the SECOND platform for CoCo3FPGA.  It was
> first implemented on the Digilent Spartan-3, which, I might add, has more
> memory and would fit quite easily in a vacated CoCo 2 or 3 case.  :)
>
> I think we should expect that FPGA development boards will come and go.  If
> we want our engineering efforts to last, we need to design a modular bus for
> FPGA CoCo hardware interfaces, so you can build a CoCo analog audio out
> board, or a joystick interface, or multipak / cartridge connector, and plug
> those into an appropriate adapter that interfaces them with a specific FPGA
> board, whether that be a development kit or a specially-designed CoCo FPGA.
>
> Just that little bit of foresight would modularize the project and make it
> much more flexible for future development.  The CoCo hardware interface
> modules could possibly even be interfaced with a PC for use with emulators.
>  The effort needs to go into a standardized, modular interface.  The effort
> needs to go into a standardized, modular interface.  The effort needs to go
> into a standardized, modular interface.  Let's make this our mantra.  The
> CoCo world is too small to afford further fragmentation and duplication of
> effort.  That's what happened in the "CoCo 4" era, and we can't afford to
> make that mistake again.

I wonder, if we just had an interface between the FPGA board and a
multipak interface, would this allow the MPI to provide the "standard
modular interface"?  seems most of us have or can obtain an MPI.  If
it does provide enough signals for everything someone wants to do (and
I'm not sure of that), then supporting a new FPGA board would mean
redoing the work to get an MPI connected, but at that point you would
be compatible with all classic coco hardware and any new paks made
specifically for use in fpga boards.

a possibility?