[Coco] Need a dir -e but extended.

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 18:21:53 EST 2010

On Tuesday 21 December 2010 15:12:53 gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have a bad fd sector that is making dcheck bail out.
>
> It is reporting a sector error for a sector that is not even on the disk,
> so its obvious I have a contaminated FD sector, but a few hours of doing
> dir -e's here and there looking for a bogus list, I have not found it yet.
>
> A decade or more back, we had a disk or file utility that worked something
> like a dir -e does now, but where a dir -e only gets the location of that
> filenames fd sector and reports that as the files address, it read and
> decoded the rest of that sector to show where each piece of the file was
> located on the disk, and also the size of the file from that FD, this
> utility returned a complete list of all the allocated sectors and the size
> of each allocation.  So it showed the offset and size of every segment of a
> files fd sector.  But I don't recall the name of the thing and nothing I
> see on that Seagate's various cmds dirs (there are several) rings even a
> teeny little bell.
>
> Can someone refresh my memory?  Please?

Hi Gene,

The last time I did anything like that was with a RSDOS program called
CoCoZap. It displayed a graphical picture of what it found on the disk and,
after studying the patterns one could discern the bad areas and make changes
that would allow the dist to at least be read. I do remember trying iton an
OS-9 disk, and for sure I did not try it on an Nitros-9 disk 8-).

Richard