[Coco] Creating DSK images via Drivewire and HDB-DOS question

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 20 04:12:57 EST 2010

Setup the good 'ol CoCo today and find myself unable to remember how to
use DriveWire to create a DSK image.

I have DriveWire 3 Server running and I have HDB-DOS 1.1 in ROM on my CoCo.

What I am trying to work out is how to take a standard "Real" CoCo3 disk
and create a DSK image of it on my PC.

I know that I have to do a DRIVE OFF 0 in order to read from my physical
CoCo Disk (Drive 0) then use the BACKUP 0 TO 1 to transfer the file to
the DSK file.

This is fine but because Drivewire treats RS-DOS disks as 256 virtual
drives in a single Hard disk file, the resulting DSK file is double the
size. Instead of being a 79K single disk image, it ends up being larger.

My end goal is to backup all my CoCo development disks into individual
DSK files (not all embedded into a single HDB-DOS Virtual floppy hard
drive image).

Am I doing something wrong? Has my absence from my CoCo created a
deterioration of my brain cells?

Nick Marentes