[Coco] Backup CoCo floppy directly to PC using Drivewire & HDB-DOS?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Fri Sep 25 14:56:06 EDT 2009

At 03:28 AM 9/25/2009, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I still got a little birth day money to spend, so I was considering what
>neat stuff to get for my CoCo. I already intend to get the Bluetooth Pak,
>although CoCoNet is not ready yet.

I intend to pick back up on CoCoNet and possibly release the DECB ROM
patch source code.  There's about 4 basic functions there that BASIC
can tap into for playing around on the web, using remote virtual
disks, etc.  The PC server source code would be released as well if I
decide to give the project to the community to finish and enhance
on.  I could then spend time writing multi-player games and apps that
use CoCoNet.

>However, regarding my little endeavor discussed earlier on the list (see
>below) I was wondering whether DriveWire can solve a current problem for me.
>
>Wanting to back up a lot of diskettes, I was wondering whether I using
>DriveWire and HDBDOS simply can use the BACKUP command to directly transfer
>a diskette's content to PC.

I use DriveWire 3 when I burn the EPROMs that go in the wireless
paks.  I have the Disto MPROM .dsk mounted on the PC and walk over to
the CoCo, type DIR, RUN "MPROM", LOAD->NEWRS232.BIN (the patched
version of the Tandy Deluxe RS-232 Pak ROM), then (2) to burn it to
the EPROM that's in the burner pak.  The CoCo to PC serial connection
is my own cable I make, hooked to a USB to Serial adaptor on the laptop.

--
~ Roger Taylor