[Coco] Emulator

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Sep 7 23:13:25 EDT 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>I understand that. I believe that I said the GIME allows multiple pages to
> be available to the CPU, 1 page at a time.

Not quite Wayne, it controls 8 each 8k ($2000 in  hex) sized pages at a time,
which totals 64k, and any one of which may be remapped/swapped for another at
any time.  Some such operations can of course lead to 'interesting' results
if not handled right.  It (the gime) has 16 of these mapping registers, and
which 8 is in use at a time controls the multitasking.  The OS normally
claims 8 of them, and allocates the other 8 according to what program is to
be given a slice of time in this time slot.  That is a somewhat simplified
view, and programmers are free to manipulate their 1/2 of the map.

It is a technique I used when I wrote myram, a ramdisk for coco3's.  I could
actually use 1.5 or 1.7 megabytes of the 2 megs in my machine as a ramdisk by
such paging.  Coupled with an automatic initialization (formatting) when
accessed the first time, which took about 100 milliseconds to do, and a full
100% removal when you were done with it, I thought it would be the killer
ramdisk for expanded coco3's, but it hasn't caught on for some reason.

As an aside os9/nitros9 doesn't give a program that only needs 12k a full 64k
to play in.  It will get 2 pages, or 16k, and the rest of the map is filled
with repeats, so it does not waste a full 64k ram map per executing program.