[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Rainbow magazines wanted for scanning

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 02:28:25 EDT 2009

There is a HUGE size difference while offering better quality than PDF.
DjVu uses Wavelet compression if I remember right.

One thing though... to get superior quality than the PDFs, you have to start with the original scanned images.  Otherwise you won't get any better than the PDFs.  The DjVu files will still be much smaller though.

Are you sure you mean 10-25 TIMES smaller than PDF, and not 10-25 PERCENT
smaller? I looked at the Wikipedia article, and it cites an external
link ("DjVu vs. PDF comparison") where DjVu came out 25% better than
PDF. Wikipedia itself simply says, "it gives smaller files than PDF
for most scanned documents," which seems like a very weak statement if
DjVu is really typically 10 to 25 TIMES better in compression.

Art