[Coco] George's CNC Machine (WAS: Something else)

richec rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 13:27:31 EDT 2008

<snip>
> With the 360, people had the ability to "use the future", 20 years ahead
> of time. I don't know if any graphics displays were created for use with
> a 360, but it would be interesting to find out. After reading about the
> DataCell technology - that is really amazing - up to 3 GB of storage, in
> the mid-1960s!
<snip>

Oh Gawd! Those datacells almost put Ohio Edison out of business! They worked
by pulling strips of oxide coated mylar out of storage container and then
wrapping them around a drum to be read. All that movement... all that
timing... didn't work for us in the USAF and for sure didn't work at Ohio
Edison. In the end IBM had to hijack a train load of 2314 disk drives and
install them in our machine room to save the day and company. Ya know, when
the president of the company is calling us lowly folks on the mainframe and
asking "How ya doing?"...  things are not good 8-) With that I'll end this.
We can take it offline if we want to continue.