[Coco] George's CNC Machine (WAS: Something else)

richec rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 00:24:03 EDT 2008

<snip>
> Yes!  Back in '77 I watched as a plotter respond to a file  transmitted
> to it by a program run on an IBM370.   I have my own pen plotter  now
> which is as close as I will get to a real CNC machine for now due
> to cost of a good one.   The coco operates the plotter quite  well
> at 600 baud and is fun to watch.
<Snip>

I'll one up ya on that one 8-). I watched a Gerber plotter respond and plot VC
and NVA troop concentrations on an 1.75Mhz, 256k RAM, IBM 360 Mod 40 at HQ
MACV. With that info the recommendations to send in the B-52s were decided.
To keep on topic 8-), I then obtained a job with the local electric company
which ran an IBM 360 Mod 50 which ran at 2Mhz and had a whopping 512k of RAM.
Do those specs sound familiar? 8-) We took care of all of the company's
electrical engineering, accounting, customer billing (2 million of them), and
etc. with that machine. Cracks me up that 5 years later my CoCo3 operated
with the same specs.