[Coco] [Color Computer] 3.5" drives on coco 3

Sat Sep 27 16:53:15 EDT 2008

On Sep 27, 2008, at 9:05 AM, Derek wrote:

> Yes you need a 3.5" drive with jumpers that allow you to set the
> drive select or you can do a twist in the cable to set the drive
> number if you want to use it in conjunction with a 5.25" drive. I
> have a 1.44MB 3.5" drive set up with my 5.25" drive in my FD-502
> case and it works great

Ah, someone who has the same setup as me.  What did you do with regard
to termination of these drives?  The 3.5" drive has built-in
termination that cannot be turned off.  But I couldn't find a way to
remove the termination on the FD-502 5.25" drive, either.

Right now, I have the 3.5" drive in the middle of the cable, and left
the 5.25" at the end of the cable.  It seems to work okay; I was able
to read, write, and copy between the two drives.  I haven't tested
things too much because I only have one 3.5" disk right now.

So the 3.5" drive works fine in RS-DOS.  Note that you must use 720 kB
disks for the 3.5" drive to operate correctly.  Only half the disk
(the first 35-40 tracks) are possible to access.

-- JP