[Coco] Dead on reading post.

Fri Sep 26 04:14:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

My incorrect memory perhaps of what I used the CRC32 software on OS-9
has lead me to an Idea that probable will go nowhere. And not be welcome.

I have two goals, one for a programming activity for the CoCo which I wanted
to do at least parts of when I was doing OS-9 programming. I am not capable
of doing anything like this these days. Other than make suggestions and
perhaps answer questions.

The second goal is to make available a valuable resource (IMHO) for those
still programming the CoCo OS-9 6x09.

One that parts of may still be hidden in Sweden
or other places on the web. No, I will not be describing this anymore now as
I may want to hang onto the Legal copies until I die unsuccessfully wishing
that I could get back to the CoCo and use it. I am not capable of making
this available myself and locating parts of it for others or informing the
group of what it contains.

I am going to set the bar impossibly high for this even to start.

1. You must have a MSDOS or WinTel computer, do not hate yourself for doing
so and are running MSDOS 3.3 to Windows Vista. CD or DVD support for MSDOS
required.

2. Are willing to take the time to look at a MSDOS program and fall in love
with it like I did. And can demonstrate to me that you have actually fallen
in love with it.

The program is Lotus Magellan 2.0 which was the very first program that I
loaded onto my first Intel based computer, a Toshiba TL1000LE with MSDOS
3.3.

The free demo, which was contained on a set of blank disks I purchased to
make backups of the MSDOS 3.3 disks resulted in my first software purchase
for MSDOS.

I have used Lotus Magellan 2.0 ever since including last week on my new
Vista laptop. That's a very long stretch.

There may be multiple persons who pass all the required points, for the
second goal to start at least three persons will be required to satisfy me.

For the first goal, porting ideas in the programming of Lotus Magellan 2.0
to OS-9 utilities would add valuable ideas.

As the Toshiba TL1000LE has a 8088 CPU, what Lotus Magellan 2.0 does could
be done on CoCo OS-9 6x09. I was convinced back then and still am.

This is not to say that all or even any parts of it might be actually done
on OS-9.

Using Lotus Magellan 2.0 (On a MSDOS or WinTel computer) would make goal
number two more doable and much more pleasant to those who are willing to
help make the resource available to others. IMHO

As I expect that few persons, if any, are interested in starting, just
sending an E-mail to me will be the best way to start. Should there
unexpectedly be a large number of requests, the demo could be placed
somewhere on the web should it not be already. IBM might still have it
somewhere, the Lotus Magellan files stayed available long after they got
Lotus. I have not looked at them in many years as they were of course
unchanging.

Actually the older MSDOS system you have the better.

I have not run the demo for many years and thus do not know how safe the
simple install is for Windows. I never even ran the install of the full
working version under windows, just copying the files from computer to
computer using a floppy of the working files.

Mailto:a_nani_mouse at mindspring.com

Expecting dead silence, Stephen H. Fischer