[Coco] Help me digitize Color Computer Magazines

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Sat Sep 6 20:47:43 EDT 2008

From: Chuck Youse <cyouse at serialtechnologies.com>
> On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 22:29 +0000, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
>

> > Where are you located?
>
> New York City.  If you can hook me up with a Tandy 6000, I'll follow you
> to the ends of the Earth .. ;)

I'm just a few miles away in Kearny NJ.  Lemme get in touch with Kelly and see what he might be willing to let go of.  Or I'll just give him your email address and you can negotiate yourselves.  (I thought I was a collector, going for one of each, but he went for all of the set (and in the process gathering a number of items I'd like but at my current pay can't afford the electricity to run)

> > > I often toy in my head with porting V7 (or even UniFLEX, close enough)
> > > to the Coco 3 but it's an awful lot of work and probably wouldn't see
> > > much of an audience.  But it would be cool.. I think it would run like
> > > an champ.
> > >
> > > C.
> >
> > At least as capable as the PDP-8 that V7 first ran on.
>
> Actually, V7 ran on the PDP-11s, but yeah, that was my thought.  I did
> some benchmarking once against an 11/73 and decided it was about on-par
> performance-wise with a 12MHz 80286.  In my mind that means a 2MHz 6809
> (or better, 6309 native-mode) should at least be usable.
>
> Too bad the Coco is so crippled in so many ways; e.g., the floppy
> controller design (as you discuss in your OS-9 proof-of-concept).  BTW,
> that must have been awfully fun, Radio Shack in those days.  These days
> they're just another electronics retailer (I wandered into one around
> the corner from me the other day looking for a serial cable.  The guy
> had no idea was I was referring to.)

Yeah, I know.  "You've got questions, we've got blank stares."  It ain't like it was a quarter of a century ago.  Of course, back then a quarter of a century was most of my life-to-date, nowadays I can treat that span a little more casually (except for the odds of being around that much longer -- that's gone down and since I was a math major, statistics don't cause the results -- I want Gene Heskitt to live a hundred more years and I want to follow his example).  (I think Gene is as Wodehouse used in his golf stories, "The Oldest Member" around here).
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net

"What I know [about the art of the sword] boils down to this:  If you see a guy running at you with a sword, put two rounds in his chest to slow him down, then one into his brain to finish him off".  Aaron Allston, _Sidhe Devil_

Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd at comcast.net