[Coco] Help me digitize Color Computer Magazines

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Sat Sep 6 18:46:01 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 22:29 +0000, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:

> Where are you located?

New York City.  If you can hook me up with a Tandy 6000, I'll follow you
to the ends of the Earth .. ;)

> > I often toy in my head with porting V7 (or even UniFLEX, close enough)
> > to the Coco 3 but it's an awful lot of work and probably wouldn't see
> > much of an audience.  But it would be cool.. I think it would run like
> > an champ.
> >
> > C.
>
> At least as capable as the PDP-8 that V7 first ran on.

Actually, V7 ran on the PDP-11s, but yeah, that was my thought.  I did
some benchmarking once against an 11/73 and decided it was about on-par
performance-wise with a 12MHz 80286.  In my mind that means a 2MHz 6809
(or better, 6309 native-mode) should at least be usable.

Too bad the Coco is so crippled in so many ways; e.g., the floppy
controller design (as you discuss in your OS-9 proof-of-concept).  BTW,
that must have been awfully fun, Radio Shack in those days.  These days
they're just another electronics retailer (I wandered into one around
the corner from me the other day looking for a serial cable.  The guy
had no idea was I was referring to.)

C.