[Coco] Help me digitize Color Computer Magazines

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Sep 5 16:07:50 EDT 2008

tim lindner wrote:
> With the withdrawal of the Rainbow on Disc project, I determined we
> needed a more distributed process of digitizing magazines.
>
> So I built a community digitization project web site:
>
> http://cocomag.dyndns.org/UnderColor.shtml
>
> Note, when I say digitizing I do not mean just scanning. I mean
> computer automated text conversion with the help of human volunteers.
>
> The site is running off a server attached to my home DSL. It has low
> bandwidth, so image loading is slow. I hope not too slow, but we'll
> find out.
>
> All the features are implemented, but let's consider this a beta until
> further notice.
>
> I welcome any and all feedback.

This is very cool and makes it very easy to contribute  I urge everyone
reading this list to consider pitching in.

A couple questions.
First, I have noticed that sometimes the heading for the instructions
for a task doesn't match the description of the task.
"
Check Ads
Show all pages in issue

Please double check the green boxed filler on this page. Fix any
mistakes. There will be no green boxes if there ar no blocks of filler.

Click "Submit Information" when finished. Click "Whole Page" if entire
page is filler.
"

So which is it?  Am I supposed to box the ads or the filler?

I'd also like to know more about the software you are using, and I
suspect others on this list would be interested as well.  There is
obviously some behind-the-scenes OCR going on.  Is this tesseract?
GOCR?  Is this an existing software suite for collaboratively digitizing
printed content, or something you've put together from existing
components?  In any case, it's pretty cool, and looks like a good way to
archive this material.  Are there other CoCo-realated publications that
we have permission to scan?

JCE