[Coco] Amazing!

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 03:19:10 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Diggs" <kevdig at hypersurf.com>

> Since Gene opened this can of worms, anyone have any comments on this
> T. Boone Pickens and his energy plan? How much natural gas do we have?

It's half of an idea. The US has about 1.7 trillion barrels of oil in shale
up in northern Utah (close to Salt Lake City) and the two states above it.
If they could charge $100 / bbl to buy it that would pay for the US economy
for 200+ years. It's all a matter of figuring out how to extract it -
personally I would use the waste heat from nuclear power plants.

If the US built TGV rail up the two coasts and from New Orleans to Chicago
and Corpus Christi up somewhere north that would save a lot of fuel - they
run on electricity from any source. Even from coal it is more efficient and
less polluting than a Prius. You ride downtown to downtown and you don't
need to get a prostate exam from the TSA screener. You could use the power
from shale oil extracting nuclear power.

But the high price of oil has also resulted in starting steel production in
the US again - the rust belt is getting sprayed with WD-40. Everything has
an effect, direct or not.

Neil