[Coco] Burke & Burke controller problems

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 07:38:30 EDT 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Chuck Youse wrote:

>> I'm pulling what little hair I have left out of my head...  I'm trying to
>> setup a Seagate ST225 hard drive for use with this controller (the exact
>> disk model it's intended to be used with).
>>
>> Everything goes well until physical verify.  It counts up to 0EF and just
>> stops.  The drive access light goes out and the computer is not
>> responsive.  100% repeatable.
>>
>> Thinking the drive might be bad, I tried an ST251.  Same exact thing!  It
>> counts to 0EF and stops.
>
> Does your device descriptor have the right geometry in it?  I'm thinking
> that the driver may be eating itself on geometry calcuations - e.g.,
> both those drives have 17 sectors per track, and I don't think it's a
> coincidence that it's hanging on the [(17 * 7) + 1]th sector (I assume
> it blocks/unblocks the 512-byte sectors).
>
> That's the only thing that comes immediately to mind.

I'm sure it's something like that.  I'm extremely suspect of the utility
that generates the descriptors.  But, if that's the case I'd expect it to
return to the command prompt instead of hanging up.

When I run dcheck on the drive it reports the expected size, so I'm hoping
things are functional.

Steve