[Coco] Burke & Burke controller problems

Chuck Youse cyouse at serialtechnologies.com
Mon Oct 6 06:05:53 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 15:29 -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> I'm pulling what little hair I have left out of my head...  I'm trying to
> setup a Seagate ST225 hard drive for use with this controller (the exact
> disk model it's intended to be used with).
>
> Everything goes well until physical verify.  It counts up to 0EF and just
> stops.  The drive access light goes out and the computer is not
> responsive.  100% repeatable.
>
> Thinking the drive might be bad, I tried an ST251.  Same exact thing!  It
> counts to 0EF and stops.

Does your device descriptor have the right geometry in it?  I'm thinking
that the driver may be eating itself on geometry calcuations - e.g.,
both those drives have 17 sectors per track, and I don't think it's a
coincidence that it's hanging on the [(17 * 7) + 1]th sector (I assume
it blocks/unblocks the 512-byte sectors).

That's the only thing that comes immediately to mind.

C.