[Coco] Disto Super Controller problem

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 29 03:35:12 EDT 2008

Roger Taylor wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is my controller at fault or my drive, but when I
> DSKINI or write anything to a disk, the CoCo doesn't complain, but when
> you read the directory back, nothing has changed.  A DSKINI format will
> step through the tracks until it goes to verify then an IO error.
>
> I've tried to DSKINI a known good disk with CoCo files on it, and after
> the DSKINI appears to write then fails, you can type DIR and the files
> are still there.
>
> Anybody know what's going on?
>
> Also, what kinds of devices are there, or can be made, to work with the
> MEB connector on the side?  It sure does look like an IDE connector.  :)

Try a new cable. Try a second drive, if you have one with the Super
Controller. Try the current drive with a standard controller or with a
PC. It won't take long to tell what is bad.

The MEB connector acts much like an MPI. Tony created several add-on
boards that plugged onto the connector, Real-Time Clock plus Parallel
Printer Port, EPROM programmer (I own one), and a Hard Disk adapter.