[Coco] Some Coco Questions

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 22 16:19:13 EDT 2008

Derek wrote:

> I have a couple of questions

> 2nd Question: I have a 3.5" and a 5.25" drive hooked up to my real Coco III.
 > The 3.5" drive is set as drive 0 and the 5.25" is set as drive 1. What
 > I am having trouble with is using the DOS command on drive 1 to boot
 > OS-9 disks.
 > I used the "Drive1" command to make the 5.25" drive my default, then
 > type DOS and it reads the 5.25" drive for a moment, then switches to
> reading the  3.5" Drive 0 and then goes back to the OK prompt.
 > Is there a way to boot OS-9 disks off a drive designated as Drive1?
>
> Thanks all!

Yes, that can be done but it requires new Boot, Init, and CC3Go or SysGo
modules in the kernel and OS9Boot file. It is easy to modify Init or
CC3Go to boot from /D1. Boot is hard coded for /D0 but the source for
NitrOS-9 has a provision for selecting the boot drive. In short, you
will need to do some assembly programming.

The main question I have is why boot from /D1. Just boot your boot disk
on a 3.5" disk and boot from /D0. Much much less work.